Last December while at school a child heard a “loud pop”, and before long his iPod and pants were on fire. The family of a child in Kentucky is suing Apple as this incident has apparently rendered him unable to “earn income in the future.”
It has been noted that the iPod was in the ‘off’ position while sitting happily in the youngsters pants-pocket. After he heard it explode, the device managed to burn through his underwear to give him second-degree burns on his leg. According to the case, filed in Ohio district court, the minor “continues to suffer from both physical and mental conditions which will cause him to suffer pain, mental distress, emotional distress, and otherwise for the rest of his life.” All this looking to cost Apple $75,000.
Recorded costs from the little man’s mother Lynette Antrobus were $15 for hospital co-pay and $400 for clothing and the damaged iPod touch. Antrobus argues that Apple and its employees are guilty of wrongful acts or omissions, negligence, gross negligence, recklessness, and wanton and willful disregard for safety. All this because Apple never warned her that one of the units “features was spontaneous combustion”. Whats more, although not specifically listing why, the mother is also claiming damages that the 14 year olds injuries will leave him unable able to work. Ever.
My questions for the case:
- What songs did the child have on the iPod, was this in part the reason it to exploded?
- The cost of an iPod around $200, meaning $200 was spent on clothing: Who spends that much on a child’s pants and / or undies?
- Was the iPod tampered with?
- Will this mean instruction manuals of iPods / iPhones will include the words “This device will spontaneously combust if…”
- Has this happened to anyone else?
- I was never allowed a tape-based Walkman at School, when were iPods allowed?
- What was the child doing at the time of the incident? Did that include fire, a brown paper bag, a strangers front door and a dog’s business? (I knew what boys at school were doing at 14…)
- Why can’t my heath insurance be that good to only cost me $15 for a hospital visit?
Please note and personal comment: I seriously do hope that the child is ok as much as I am poking a bit of fun here. Being in any form of accident is never pleasant. If there are issues with the devices, batteries and the like then action is required. Although, I was brought up on a theory that there are people worse off than me, so harden up and go to work. This has included incidents of broken bones, burns and even a pair of scissors (and no – I wasn’t running with them). Fault has been mine and on occasion, the device tool or playground equipment in question. I agree with replacement costs for the iPod, pants and bills if the fault is Apple’s; although the damages – sorry. I personally worked with a genius developer (Adam) who lost 4 fingers, his whole face, voice box and ears after burns took 72% of his body. He works harder than any man I’ve known. So I am sceptical about how a burnt leg can render the boy unable to ever work.
I do have huge sympathy for the child that he’s in a bad way now, although learn, live and move on little man. The accident (I hope) was a freak incident that will never be heard of again. Remember mate: chicks dig scars.